From October 7, thousands of animal rebels will peacefully occupy key sites
across London to force the government to address the destruction
caused by the animal farming and fishing industries, and take urgent action against the climate emergency.
By turning out in vast numbers, by holding strong throughout the night, by
risking arrest, by bringing attitudes of peace and care not just towards animals,
but to even those in the industry who are victims under our society’s toxic
system, we will spark conversations across the globe and win the hearts of the
public. In doing so, we will force the government to recognise that it must
take action and move to a plant-based food system.
• Our first site is Smithfield Market, London’s largest and most historic meat
market. On October 7, we'll occupy Smithfield's iconic archway overnight to demand the government transform Smithfield to a fruit & veg market that can serve as a hub for a thriving plant-based food system.
• After having shared our vision at Smithfield, we'll take that message to Westminster to pressure the government to make that vision a reality. We'll be located at the Garden City, our site just across from the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (Defra), the government department chiefly responsible for upholding the animal agriculture industry.
WHAT WILL BE HAPPENING
We will meet at Russell Square, Bloomsbury, London, at 11AM on Monday October 7. In the afternoon, we will march to Smithfield Market, where we'll occupy the site to boldly share our vision of a future plant-based food system. We’ll be occupying the space overnight, and we strongly encourage as many people as possible to stay overnight throughout the Rebellion. Having a strong, consistent presence will be key to holding our sites and having our message heard.
On October 8, we'll march from Smithfield to the Garden City, our second site across from Defra.
The Rebellion will be a whirlwind of collective action, community-building and
self-development. There will be an array of social and festival activities,
trainings and entertainment hosted in different locations across the site. There
will be singing, there will be space to grieve for the animals whose bodies lay
within Smithfield, and there will be moments of joy as we unite under the vision
of the world we’re striving to build.
Pulling off this Rebellion will require all hands on deck, so you’ll be invited to
use your strengths and join a volunteer team that plays an essential role in
making the Rebellion a success – that could mean different things for different
people, from cooking up a storm for your fellow rebels, to broadcasting the
event on social media, or perhaps even engaging in higher-risk civil
disobedience, such as a lock-on or a strategic flash mob. There’s a role for
FACILITIES & SERVICES
We’ll provide water, vegan food, hand-washing facilities and toilets on site. There will be phone-charging facilities, but expect access to be limited. First-aiders will be present at all times.
For those who are unable to camp and require overnight housing during the
Rebellion, there will be limited housing granted on a needs basis, and
individuals with disabilities and special needs will be prioritised. To request housing please click here.
HOW TO PREPARE
1. Clear your calendar and rally your friends! Take time off work so you can be a
part of this incredible moment in history, and reach out to those around you
and ask them to join the Rebellion with you. The time is now to ensure we take
the action we need to end the climate and animal emergencies, and we need
everyone who can to take action with us.
2. Get together the supplies you need! Read our packing list which serves as a guide for what you might like to bring.
3. We ask all rebels coming to the October Rebellion to do trainings in Know Your Rights (KYR), Arrestee Support and Non-violent Direct Action (NVDA). Extinction Rebellion is running various trainings in all of the above, while Animal Rebellion is running various NVDA trainings. To find the details for pre-Rebellion trainings, take a look at our list of upcoming trainings.
4. Get connected with Animal Rebels near you! Find your nearest local group
and join in their actions. You’ll find a full list of UK Animal Rebellion groups here. You can also connect with Rebels via the Animal Rebellion Lounge Facebook group.
This is going to be a time like no other. So grab your tents, grab your friends,
take time off work, and let’s rebel together.